10x42 or 10x50 Binos

Rancher

I’m looking for feedback on binos. Can’t decide if I should get the Vortex Diamondbacks in a 10x42 or 10x50. Wife has the 42’s and I like them but have never looked thru a pair of 50’s. Would the 50’s gather more light than the 42’s? Would the size difference between the 2 be worth it to go with the 50’s? Thanks for any feedback!

stickers

I agree with Chad Bragg. I have the same pair of binoculars 10x42 Diamondbacks and for the money they cant be beat in my opinion. I was absolutely shocked when I got them cause to say I am not a fan of Vortex scopes is an understatement. But their binoculars are a different story. Also they are running a big sale on them for $100 off at BPS/ Cabelas next week. I think they are listed for $129.

chadbragg

I agree with Chad Bragg. I have the same pair of binoculars 10x42 Diamondbacks and for the money they cant be beat in my opinion. I was absolutely shocked when I got them cause to say I am not a fan of Vortex scopes is an understatement. But their binoculars are a different story. Also they are running a big sale on them for $100 off at BPS/ Cabelas next week. I think they are listed for $129.

That's what I paid last year when I upgraded. After an oops deer in Indiana last season I knew I had to have an upgrade!

Rancher

I seen that also. Looks like I’ll be ordering the 10x42’s next week. Thanks

jbullard1

Staff member
What do you NOT like about Vortex scopes, I have 5 scopes and 4 red dots and they are better than any I have tried

chadbragg

What do you NOT like about Vortex scopes, I have 5 scopes and 4 red dots and they are better than any I have tried

I will never buy another vortex scope myself. Poor light gathering, high power blur, and just plain don't care for them for the $$. I have 2 viper pst, venom, and a strike fire. In my opinion trijicon is the best hunting scope for the $$.

chadbragg

This is the exact ones I have. For the $$ they are awesome.

Attachments

• AB8FD62C-2B10-4B79-B4D1-85B1F7B26A15.png
    AB8FD62C-2B10-4B79-B4D1-85B1F7B26A15.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

stickers

I agree with everything Chad said in above post and I will add that I have had serious problems with them holding zero and the tracking on adjustable turrets is terrible. I learned my lesson.

jbullard1

Staff member
I agree with everything Chad said in above post and I will add that I have had serious problems with them holding zero and the tracking on adjustable turrets is terrible. I learned my lesson.
That is an issue I have not encountered, but I do things a lot different than most people. I sight my rifle in dead on at 200 yards. then I shoot it out to 500 and study the drop. That is why I never touch the adjustable turrets after sighting in. But then again I shoot lowly calibers like the 30-06,6.5 Grendel and not a super magnum. I have no need for those things.

stickers

That is an issue I have not encountered, but I do things a lot different than most people. I sight my rifle in dead on at 200 yards. then I shoot it out to 500 and study the drop. That is why I never touch the adjustable turrets after sighting in. But then again I shoot lowly calibers like the 30-06,6.5 Grendel and not a super magnum. I have no need for those things.
I understand. It is just too hard for me to figure and compenstate for a 4-5 ft, drop when I am "rushed" for a shot on an animal. It has always been easier for me to dial them up and then try to figure the wind. It is amazing what just a 5mph crosswind will do to some bullets at 500yds.

gtk

Staff member
I Have the vortex 10-42 viper binoculars and love them. I own a diamondback scope, and its "just alright". I will say their warranty is great though. My gun fell out of the safe when we moved to CO, and bent the scope. It wouldn't hold zero after that and they replaced it under warranty. I even explained it was my fault and they still sent a new scope.

stickers

I Have the vortex 10-42 viper binoculars and love them. I own a diamondback scope, and its "just alright". I will say their warranty is great though. My gun fell out of the safe when we moved to CO, and bent the scope. It wouldn't hold zero after that and they replaced it under warranty. I even explained it was my fault and they still sent a new scope.

Yep, their warranty is good. First scope I had from them I tightened the rings to 28in/lbs and crushed the tube to where the turrets wouldnt turn. Had no idea that t;heir scopes only have an 18lb tolerance. They replaced it. I wonder if they will keep on with their warranty now that Nikon is out of the scope business.

jv

Yep, their warranty is good. First scope I had from them I tightened the rings to 28in/lbs and crushed the tube to where the turrets wouldnt turn. Had no idea that t;heir scopes only have an 18lb tolerance. They replaced it. I wonder if they will keep on with their warranty now that Nikon is out of the scope business.

If Nikon goes out of the scope business I will have to go back to iron sights, not one made better then a Nikon

stickers

If Nikon goes out of the scope business I will have to go back to iron sights, not one made better then a Nikon

They are officially out of the scope business on Jan. 1 . They announced it a few months ago.

gtk

Staff member
Ha.. I don't even know what kind of binocs i have. . I have the "talon" vortex, not "viper".

jv, try a zeiss conquest scope !! The are affordable, and the glass is unbelievable . That's what i have on my main elk rifle, and the difference astounding

Reactions: jv

jv

Ha.. I don't even know what kind of binocs i have. . I have the "talon" vortex, not "viper".

jv, try a zeiss conquest scope !! The are affordable, and the glass is unbelievable . That's what i have on my main elk rifle, and the difference astounding

I will check them out but I have about 15 or so Nikon scopes on different guns and have never found one I liked better.