12 Gauge For Big Game?

Just Plain Tim

My Uncles used to use shotgun for deer etc because of restrictions back in the old days but I never had to.
How versatile is the 12 gauge Really for big game?
I'm in AZ right now but I don't know the laws and restrictions here on it yet, but what are Your experiences, and what game have you taken with shotgun hunting?

A decent Remi is within the budget, and with all the barrel options out there it seems one might be what I'm needing right now.
And I could still pick up a rimfire for small game.

Just Plain Tim

Deer, Boar, maybe others if I can get close enough.
Pretty much anywhere. I'm not planning on being in AZ much longer, Lord Willing.
In AZ the areas I have access to are small ranches up north, and land we go cut wood on. Packed with trees and close in shots. Usually I see shots well within 100 yards, but other guys somehow turn it into '300-500 yards back at home :D

Last edited:

Surveyorshawn

I'm pretty sure you can use a rifle in AZ, but that being said I've killed a ton of deer with a 12 ga growing up as that was all we could afford, but we used buckshot. I think that's what you will find for the most part from folks who have used shotguns here in the deep south. In midwetern states that require the use of shotguns, slug barrels are common, but no so much here.

Just Plain Tim

I'm pretty sure you can use a rifle in AZ, but that being said I've killed a ton of deer with a 12 ga growing up as that was all we could afford, but we used buckshot. I think that's what you will find for the most part from folks who have used shotguns here in the deep south. In midwetern states that require the use of shotguns, slug barrels are common, but no so much here.
For me it's more of a finance thing. Needing a firearm on the property I watch, and for the house, and one that can put meat in the freezer. A good Remi with a few barrels is about the best in my budget right now, yet would still fit my needs.....

jv

I have used shotguns(12 ga) for deer hunting and know a lot of people who say that is all they need. My father in law probably killed more deer in his life time then any other and all he was a old Remington with a modified chock.

Latest posts