Acorn Crop

glenn

How is everyone’s crop of acorns this year? Here in southwest Mississippi we seem to have a bumper crop. It’s great for the deer, but sucks for those of us who can’t get out and scout for the good trees and hunt them. Our hunters are seeing about 25% of deer in food plots compared to last year. I’ve only been able to hunt a few times this year and have to have someone drive me to the stand, or park right on top of it, which neither one is good for trying to see, much less kill a deer. And yes, I am one of those guys that used to complain about people that would never get out of the shooting houses on the plots to hunt. Things do tend to come back and bite you in the butt. Mine has a big chunk missing. I now apologize to all those I used to complain about. I guess everyone has their reasons for how they hunt. Good luck to you all the rest of the season.

Rancher

The heat and acorns are making fir a tough year for a lot of folks including our club.

jv

We have a good acorn crop here in North Mississippi to but like you I haven’t been much and I always drive right up to the shooting house or stand I hunt out of and I haven’t noticed that the deer mind it.

glenn

We have a good acorn crop here in North Mississippi to but like you I haven’t been much and I always drive right up to the shooting house or stand I hunt out of and I haven’t noticed that the deer mind it.
JV, I guess it’s a perception thing for me. I’ve had to change the ways I always had success hunting and it’s hard to accept that I wasn’t all knowing, haha. I still see and kill deer, better ones than in the past. Parking at the stand works, it just seems wrong. I suppose it’s a mental block I have.

Reactions: jv

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbara Zietchick