Baiting 20-21

LeonRich

Has anyone hear any new proprosals for 20-21 on baiting of deer. Rumor is there will be NO FEEDING in entire state.. Please respond

stickers

I sure hope that rumor becomes reality. Should have never been legalized in the first place. It will be difficult to "to put the toothpaste back in the tube" though.

Rancher

I doubt this will happen. Too much money would be lost.

Where did you hear this rumor from?

LeonRich

I thought the same thing RANCHER but they still closed quite a few counties last year even with protest from the CO-OP's. I assume we will have to wait for the next legislator session or is there a link that we can keep up with that shows proposals that will come up this session(?). thanks for ya'll input.

jbullard1

Staff member
I thought the same thing RANCHER but they still closed quite a few counties last year even with protest from the CO-OP's. I assume we will have to wait for the next legislator session or is there a link that we can keep up with that shows proposals that will come up this session(?). thanks for ya'll input.
Ms legislature is in session now

LeonRich

Spoke to a friend who’s club is in the zones where u can’t feed. He said deer came to the food plots a lot more than yrs before. My main concern would be during bow hunting. Feedeing gives you a better than average chance. I don’t shoot 50 + yds like some hunters do & I don’t want to shoot a crossbow

jv

Has anyone hear any new proprosals for 20-21 on baiting of deer. Rumor is there will be NO FEEDING in entire state.. Please respond
The last thing I saw on baiting is this map that shows the counties that allow no baiting (shown in yellow)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1600881195458.jpg
    FB_IMG_1600881195458.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 6

huvrman

This is an old thread but timeless discussion. IF the state ever decides to ban feeding/baiting, it better make the fines painful enough to serve as a deterrent. Years ago, before it was legal, I found a feeder set up just across (20 yards) my property line. I did not want the wardens to think I was hunting over it (do wardens really know the property lines - no gps back then) and I didn’t want to restrict my ability to hunt my own property. So, I called a warden and let him know. Opening morning he showed up, caught the guy, gave him a warning, and made him pull the feeder and get all corn off the ground same day. A subsequent discussion with the warden about their ability to find and catch offenders revealed the $25 dollar fine was not worth the effort of finding a feeder, sitting there all week, and hoping the guy shows up. There were much bigger fish to fry. This warden had no problem dealing with offenders, but only if someone complained and was semi-aware of the other hunters patterns. As far as that hunter goes, I watched him clean up his stuff from my stand and never saw him again.

jv

I agree with higher fines then it might help to stop the use of illegal feeders but im afraid they are here to stay. I hunt mostly in CWD zone where feeders are not legal but some people chose to use them anyway.

huvrman

They will throw you under the jail in TN if you get caught baiting. At least that is the perception. And perception is all it takes….

glenn

Bill Clinton must have written the Mississippi law. Baiting is not legal in Mississippi. However, supplemental feeding is and there are no restrictions on hunting over, or near it on private land. As I understand it, the difference is that supplemental feeding must be done all year and constantly available to the deer. It depends on what the definition of is, is.

Reactions: jv

jv

Bill Clinton must have written the Mississippi law. Baiting is not legal in Mississippi. However, supplemental feeding is and there are no restrictions on hunting over, or near it on private land. As I understand it, the difference is that supplemental feeding must be done all year and constantly available to the deer.
It’s like they approve and and disapprove it at the same time but with guidelines ....that’s the government for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
huvrman