Buck Harvests this week

jb2leather

I took my annual 2 week hunting vacation last week and this coming week. In the last 3 weeks, I’ve seen more deer than I have in the last 2 years. One spot, I couldn’t get a nice to stop chasing tail, so I didn’t get a shot off. Another, I watched a young buck chase a doe for several minutes around a ridge. That was a lot of fun. But this past Tuesday, I watched an 8 point come across a powerline to try and run off a spike. That was my first buck of the season. I’d already taken a couple of does around Thanksgiving.

Then, Wednesday, I let my wife and son hunt the powerline and I set up west of it. Caught a big bodied 7 headed back to bed. I’m not a trophy hunter by any form, but I’d much rather take a larger buck than a smaller doe, because we practically live off of deer meat through the year.

This week, however; I’m hunting specifically for a wall-hanger. With the harvests I’ve taken this year, we’re in good shape with meat. So one more large bodied deer would be exceptional, but if not, at least I get to sit in the woods for another week.

Attachments

• 971D4571-6A1A-4926-A790-F4D65615BEB8.jpeg
    971D4571-6A1A-4926-A790-F4D65615BEB8.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • C70454D7-ED69-4169-944F-D5682FD26EEE.jpeg
    C70454D7-ED69-4169-944F-D5682FD26EEE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

jv

You done better then I have, I have been under the weather most of the season and only hunted three time but do plane on hunting some this week. Looking for deer or hogs doesn’t matter.

jb2leather

I’ve hunted hard this year. I’m also lucky to have an 8-5. And even luckier to hunt 30 minutes from home, and some days in my backyard.

jv

I’m 71 and been retired for 16 years but have had heath issues for the past 4 years but hope some of that is behind me now.......I hope.

jb2leather

jb2leather did I see one of those pictures on a Facebook post in Mississippi Whitetale page

If it was the one with the dogs, it may have been the fella I called to help me track. I don’t do any facebooking anymore.

Reactions: jv

huvrman

I hunted 4 days, saw 2 deer, 1 a spike. Weather just too lousy. Cell cam showed a late rut, and of course I’m in another state.

jb2leather

I hunted 4 days, saw 2 deer, 1 a spike. Weather just too lousy. Cell cam showed a late rut, and of course I’m in another state.

I hunted the entire week last week, and the week before. The week before was the best, in terms of activity for me. I saw more deer that week than I’ve ever seen in a week’s time. Last week was awful. But Monday, I saw 5 does and had a buck on my cell cam about 5 minutes before I walked the same trail. I won’t be able to go back until Saturday morning, but I’m going to hunt a different river bank where I know he’s crossing.

glenn

jb2leather, first of all welcome to the site. Second, congratulations! Like jv I haven’t hunted much this year, due to health issues. Waiting to have back surgery and just got over Covid. Hopefully I can enjoy this last week a little. Itt’s been many years since i failed to kill a deer, but this one is looking doubtful. I have enjoyed the time I have gotten to spend in the woods though. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbara Zietchick