Clueless...?!

86Buckhunter

I live about 15 miles west of Hattiesburg, and I can’t figure out if the rut has started... I’ve been hunting three times the past week, and all I’ve seen is a bunch of birds eating my corn.. Deer are completely nocturnal due to all the brown and downers in the area. Starting to become frustrated... spent over $1,000 on getting into hunting, and don’t want to end up empty handed.. any advice from experienced hunters?

flipper

It should really be going good in the Hattiesburg area. Please don’t get discouraged. That’s part of the joy of hunting......the wait. It’s not supposed to be easy or even guaranteed. I CAN guarantee that you will be so thrilled when you get that first deer. Patience friend!

Surveyorshawn

It's late down here in the Southeastern portion of the state. Don't forget, that's why we get to hunt until the 15th of February. Our rut isn't when the rest of the state is in rut. That being said, since it's now January 15th, you should be seeing a good many scrapes and roaming bucks, and at least some bucks pushing does if not all out chasing them at this point. Some does will breed now, and some in February. Go by some of the well established taxidermists in the area such as Turner Brothers and find out what they are hearing & seeing as far as clients bringing local deer in, etc. I find places & people like that have a lot of insight on the timing of the rut and various other valuable hunting information in a given area.

flipper

Even here in Yazoo I saw a nice young 8 point chasing this morning while I sipped coffee in my sun room.

Reactions: jv