First Time

Turkeysniper

Hey guys, Im taking my son hunting to see if he can bag his first white tail this weekend. I grew up in the country and started hunting with my father at a very early age. My son, on the other hand, grew up a little different than me. We ended up moving into town when my son was 3. It was back during the big economy bust that we had back in 08 and - you guessed it - I was a home builder. It has taken a lot of faith and some really hard work to get back to where we are now but I finally have found myself back in a lease with some really good people. Long story short, I haven't been able to get the boy remotely interested in what we all love so much. Guess X-box is just way more entertaining for this generation or something. At any rate, he is 14 now and about the heaviest hitting firearm he as ever shot on the other side of his extensive Nerf gun collection is an air rifle. I have a Remington automatic .270 that I plan on seeing if he can handle - what do you guys think?

jv

The main thing to consider when getting him to shooting is not to start him on a gun with a lot of recoil, a 243 or 7mm08 might be a better choice.
Good luck to ya'll and hope he gets to loving hunting.

Turkeysniper

The main thing to consider when getting him to shooting is not to start him on a gun with a lot of recoil, a 243 or 7mm08 might be a better choice.
Good luck to ya'll and hope he gets to loving hunting.
Yeah - I get it no doubt - but I have a Remington .270 - I thought that would be a lot better than trying to start him with my .300

Reactions: jv

huntall

at 14....most kids can handle a 270 with not any problem. of course different situations for different kids. as long as hes not really small. should be no problem

huntall

Man, you guys should have seen it - 3 in the black first three shots - I think the shot surprised him but he isnt afraid of pulling the trigger by no means. He was actually very mature about the the whole experience. I am very proud.
thats great! i figured hed probably do good. now its time for him try it out on a deer! lol

Latest posts