GPS

bigsteve

What kind of GPS do any of you use if any
I have 3 I have a delorme pn 40 with the world map but has booting. Issues in heavy canopy I also have 2 Bushnell hunt tracks each has 25 way points they work pretty good an excellent scouting tool in these big river bottoms when hunting from a boat

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

chadbragg

I use my phone Steve. I have 2 older handheld but they never see the light of day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

saddaddykiller

Re: GPS

use my phones gps and waypoint app....soo much nicer than wut I used to do which was flag stuff off etc but u should still have backup incase gps fails....phone gps works if u have cell signal and even if u don't have any signal at all...

triple_duece

I have garmin 60csx and bought the boys 62c. They never lose service and have way more features than I will ever learn to use. Look online for discontinued models and pick them up around 2 bills. Some of the touch screen models are on sale and they work great also and can find them cheap if your not looking for the next great new model.

saddaddykiller

I use nokia lumia 520 smartphone....(yea NOGO im cheap I already know that) but...has free maps...free gps app called trail buddy.............it gets me back to the waypoints so I don't get lost, that's all I need....50$

Maps and navigation
GPS and navigation6
Location technologies: A-GLONASS, A-GPS, Cellular and Wi-Fi network positioning
Maps: Free maps, Offline maps, Online and offline favorites, Pin places to Start screen, Real-time traffic information, Reveal the surrounding places, Turn-by-turn walk directions, Venue maps - shopping and transport centers
Drive: Favorite destinations, Free regional voice guided turn-by-turn drive navigation, Live traffic information, Speed limit warnings

patinlouisiana

We have been using hand held GPSRs for about 15 years. Ever since Uncle Sam turned off selective availability and allowed civilian hand held unit to be more accurate. Started with an Eagle Explorer then got a Garmin Legend. Been faithful to Garmin ever since, getting a newer model about every 2 years. Now we both have the Oregon 500 with touch screen and love them. We mainly use ours for Geo-Caching (GPS based treasure hunting).
http://www.geocaching.com
I do have all the deer stands, bridges, roads, trails, creeks .... loaded in my POI and way points.
I love the face that I can walk or ride around a food plot and it will calculate the acreage for us.
Keep us from over estimating seed & fertilizer purchasing. I have used my data and Auto-CAD to draw full scale maps of all of our properties. Then print them on 36 x 48 sheets for "wall paper" in the camp.
Oh and it also come in handy on the highway as I know with my big tires the speedo is off but the GPSR is always dead on with MPH. :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

saddaddykiller

patinlouisiana":2rgl20jr said:
We have been using hand held GPSRs for about 15 years. Ever since Uncle Sam turned off selective availability and allowed civilian hand held unit to be more accurate. Started with an Eagle Explorer then got a Garmin Legend. Been faithful to Garmin ever since, getting a newer model about every 2 years. Now we both have the Oregon 500 with touch screen and love them. We mainly use ours for Geo-Caching (GPS based treasure hunting).
http://www.geocaching.com
I do have all the deer stands, bridges, roads, trails, creeks .... loaded in my POI and way points.
I love the face that I can walk or ride around a food plot and it will calculate the acreage for us.
Keep us from over estimating seed & fertilizer purchasing. I have used my data and Auto-CAD to draw full scale maps of all of our properties. Then print them on 36 x 48 sheets for "wall paper" in the camp.
Oh and it also come in handy on the highway as I know with my big tires the speedo is off but the GPSR is always dead on with MPH. :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:
that's weird cause the other day I was searching about geocaching and I saw a screenname called patinlouisiana and I thought about u..........but that's not u is it?

patinlouisiana

It is almost a daily activity for us as we have several hundred hides thet we have to maintain. We do most of our "seeking" whenever we go out of town for more than a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saddaddykiller

oh ok do they have geocaches hid deep in the woods like on nationalforest and public lands or is it more of a in/around cities thing along roads or whatever?

patinlouisiana

Both! they have what are called "Park n Grab" caches that are super easy all the way up to caches where you need scuba gear or climbing gear to reach them.
Here is a map of caches in your area.

Attachments

• se la sm2.png
    se la sm2.png
    369 KB · Views: 1,247

patinlouisiana

Geocaching is the real-world treasure hunt that's happening right now, all around you. There are 2,727,167 active geocaches and over 6 million geocachers worldwide.

tensasghost

If cell phone signal is not an issue, android market has an app called arlean maps that helps me scout.

hubtech

I have bad reception at camp. Have an etrex 20 that I don't really use much. It's much more fun to get lost ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
huvrman