Leupold VX Freedom Scope

Rancher

Christmas money is burning a hole in my pocket and I need a new scope. Im eyeing one of these Leupold VX Freedom scopes in 3-9x40 for my old Woodsmaster 742, aka jam master. Anyone have this scope, pros/cons? Thanks

jv

I personally don’t like Leopold scopes, every gun I own has a Nikon scope but they got out of the scope business. Have you looked at the Vortex?

Rancher

Yep, have 4 of them between my wife, kids and myself.

What’s not to like about a Leupold?

glenn

I don’t have any experience with that particular scope, but I do have a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 50 mm on my BAR 300 WSM. It’s around 20 years old and is still my go to gun.
Pros: it has been very dependable. It’s been about 10 years since I have had to make any adjustments to it. It’s always checked twice a year, just before and in the middle of deer season. One inch groups, 1 1/2” high at 100 yards is where I want it and it always is there. To. me it’s the Timex of big guns. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I know you young folks have no clue what I’m talking about.
Cons: I agree with jv from the standpoint that the Nicon optics are better/clearer, but it is 20 years old.
Just my personal opinion, I wouldn’t have a problem getting another one, it would actually be my preference, but I can see why others might.

Reactions: jv

jb2leather

I’ve got a 3x9 VX Freedom muzzleloader on my 45-70 guide gun. It doesn’t hold light like my Hawke, but it does a fantastic job and holds a zero on it quite well.

Reactions: jv

jv

I’ve got a 3x9 VX Freedom muzzleloader on my 45-70 guide gun. It doesn’t hold light like my Hawke, but it does a fantastic job and holds a zero on it quite well.
First off welcome to the site jb2leather and jump on in and share some info with us. Things have been kinda slow but hoping it will pick back up.
I have never looked through a Hawke scope but heard a lot about them.
I see that you have been a member for a little over a year but I think this is your first post but don’t stop now.

jb2leather

First off welcome to the site jb2leather and jump on in and share some info with us. Things have been kinda slow but hoping it will pick back up.
I have never looked through a Hawke scope but heard a lot about them.
I see that you have been a member for a little over a year but I think this is your first post but don’t stop now.

Thank you. I didn’t realize I’d never posted before. I got a Hawke when I bought my last rifle. It beats getting glasses.

I haven’t used the Leupold but a handful of times. Probably 10 rounds through that guide gun. But it handled the big bore easily. I’ve hunted with it about 4 times this year, and I’ll use it tomorrow.

jv

Thank you. I didn’t realize I’d never posted before. I got a Hawke when I bought my last rifle. It beats getting glasses.

I haven’t used the Leupold but a handful of times. Probably 10 rounds through that guide gun. But it handled the big bore easily. I’ve hunted with it about 4 times this year, and I’ll use it tomorrow.
I have used Nikon on just about every gun I have ever owned and sure hate that they got out of the scope business

jb2leather

I have used Nikon on just about every gun I have ever owned and sure hate that they got out of the scope business

Up until last year, I used the same ol Simmons on the .270 I’ve hunted with for 20 years. Then I bought a new rifle. And then another new rifle. I went mostly off of customer reviews. I’ve never heard anything bad about Nikon, though, I just don’t have any experience.

jv

There are a lot of good scopes out there that don’t cost you a arm and a leg, the Vortex is another good scope and Bushnell makes a good scope but it all boils down to your preference.

nhw

Christmas money is burning a hole in my pocket and I need a new scope. Im eyeing one of these Leupold VX Freedom scopes in 3-9x40 for my old Woodsmaster 742, aka jam master. Anyone have this scope, pros/cons? Thanks
I used to only buy Leupold scopes. The last 3 scopes I have purchased have all been Vortex Viper PST 1x6. The glass is exceptionally clear. Set on 1 power with the illumination turned on, it is perfect for very quick shots. Turn it up to 6 power for longer range. On 2 of these the adjusting ring is somewhat stiff, but they sell an accessory for that. For me Leupold just isn't making exactly what I like feature wise. The last Leupold I purchased was an firedot equipped 2x10 and it is awesome but also big and maybe heavier than I like. Your mileage may vary....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbara Zietchick