Most used calibers?

Just Plain Tim

I'm used to Colorado, and Arizona. What are the most commonly used calibers for hunting in MS? For large game? Small game? Trying to learn what is most commonly used, and the laws, rules, and regulations, Before hand. Thank you.

Last edited:

Just Plain Tim

No more shotgun only? It's been decades since I've been back.....
Or am I remembering wrong? I was too young when I was there. I only remember my Uncles general store selling shotgun slugs singly on the candy rack during deer season..... Like I said, it's been a while regretfully.

Last edited:

stickers

There are so many to choose from I find it hard to limit myself to just one. But the last few years I have primarily shot 7mm-08 for deer. Before that I was a 280 Remmy toter.

Just Plain Tim

Is there a link to the rules and regulations to caliber and firearms restrictions in MS? It's been a while since I've been on a computer, Slightly rusty... I keep getting everything But what I'm looking for...

jbullard1

Staff member
MDWFP.Com will have all the info you need

I hunt with a 30-06 Remingtom 700LR and 6.5 Grendel AR-15,, My wife uses a 7mm-08 Ruger Compact and a 24-45 Sharps Ar-15

glenn

I think you can see from the other responses, there are a lot of preferences in caliber and model. I’m a BAR 300 WSM and 45-70 guy myself. Just about anything you have will be good. As far as general preferences go, most people shoot 30 caliber and below in rifles. Very few use shotguns now, but if that’s what you like it will work too.

Just Plain Tim

I think you can see from the other responses, there are a lot of preferences in caliber and model. I’m a BAR 300 WSM and 45-70 guy myself. Just about anything you have will be good. As far as general preferences go, most people shoot 30 caliber and below in rifles. Very few use shotguns now, but if that’s what you like it will work too.
I'm just curious because as a kid all the Uncles would use slugs. I haven't been back to MS since my Mother passed, and I haven't kept up on the regulations. I prefer 6.5 rounds myself, in all the different flavours, but would be content with a 30-30, or 308 in a pinch :cool:. And 45-70 is an old favourite as well, but the company I wanted a rifle built from closed down if I recall. Nothing like a Highwall in 45-70 :cool:

schoolmarm

I'm just curious because as a kid all the Uncles would use slugs. I haven't been back to MS since my Mother passed, and I haven't kept up on the regulations. I prefer 6.5 rounds myself, in all the different flavours, but would be content with a 30-30, or 308 in a pinch :cool:. And 45-70 is an old favourite as well, but the company I wanted a rifle built from closed down if I recall. Nothing like a Highwall in 45-70 :cool:

I hunt with a bunch of calibers but my Highwall .45/70 is my fav..

Latest posts