Private Land and Trespassing

Lauradena

I have a big problem in my north pasture and I googled forums until I found this one. I just need to know what others think of the situation I'm in and whether I'm being overly concerned about it.
I'm a 56 yo woman who lives on the property I grew up on. My sister and I have several hundred acres here. South end is hers, north end is mine. At my extreme north boundary fence there is a subdivision, new homes with several acres each. But on my side of the fence, my pasture there is open and beautiful, with sage grass, a pond and wildlife galore. In the last couple years, I've noticed my dogs running back there about 11 PM and barking hysterically. Since I'm usually alone when this happens, I don't go back to see. Well, a couple years ago, I was riding my atv along my north fence. Lo and be dammed behold, one of those sub folks has put up a really uptown deerstand only 10 feet from my fence. Thing is, if he shoots north, east or west, he will be shooting into someone's yard. His only option is shooting across my pasture. The game warden said I would have to catch him doing it or video him. Then about a month ago, my sister and I rode to my back fence(the west fence that corners with the north fence), and we found a fold up chair propped against a sapling on my side, actually, in my pasture. I bought a camera, but don't know where the best place to put it would be. My worry is mainly this...I don't know if this trespasser is a responsible gun owner or whether he might shoot at random or really what he might do. I allow my preacher to hunt back there and he's the only one. Do I have legitimate worries here? Thanks so much for any advice. I might also add that I have nobody to help me do things such as put up cameras, etc. Thanks again.

stickers

YES!!! you have very legitimate concerns especially in today's sue happy world. Their are many who will go after landowner ultimately in court. When I was a kid we had a trespasser, quail hunter, who crossed one of our fences and his gun went off killing him. Ultimately his family sued my Father. He won in court but that was in the 1970s. I cringe to think what might happen now.

Lauradena

I don't think I stated in my original post how alone I am in fighting this situation. As of this January, the renter who ran cattle on my acreage will be gone. Both of my sons live in other places, my youngest in Tupelo and my oldest is a Marine Officer and lives currently in Quantico. My husband has absolutely no interest in my property at all. I bought a camera but I can't figure out where is the best place to put it. I requested a visit by a game warden and we went out and I showed him the deer stand the guy put up where the only safe shot he can take is across my north pasture. I don't know whether he is the trespasser who left the chair out there or whether that person is yet another neighbor from the dreaded subdivision that occupies the entire north end of my road. The warden said I needed to either catch him in person or on camera, which I can't really do since I'm only one and I have some disabilities that keep me from venturing out late at night to go trekking through the woods to catch him. My father placed great importance on trespassing and safety and security on our own properties. This would not be going on if he were here. My father didn't have any boys, only 3 girls. My younger sister hit the road and didn't come back, my older sister manages the acreage she owns south of mine. I really don't know what path to take to bring this problem to a suitable solution. My oldest son is an attorney, now studying military law. Are you aware of any legal action I could take to curb any future responsibilities? I'm terrified someone is going to get hurt. Thank you so much for your comments! I really just need someone who understands such issues to discuss it with. Thank you again.

jv

First off welcome to the forum and yes you do have a concern and ever who it is that placed the stand there known of your situation and seems not to worried about getting fought. If it was me I would put up several cameras and try and get him or them on camera.
I don’t think they are hunting at 11 pm if you don’t hear any shoots being made. Your dogs might be barking at other dogs or maybe a coyote. But until you catch them on camera or in person it’s really hard to do anything about it. I wish you luck but be very careful in your adventure to catch them and I would be just as concerned as you are if I owned the land. So many people have no respect for other land owners these days.
I know you probably have posted signs up but if not put some up and if it was me I would put one on every post in sight of his stand with a sign that says “smile you on camera “.
Again welcome to the forum and good luck but be safe.

Lauradena

Thank you for the compliment. It is a beautiful place filled with wildlife and birds. I have turkey also. I am in Panola County in North Mississippi. I posted signs on almost every post or tree along my north border. Each and every one was taken down and taken away. I didn't find any sign of them about 3 weeks after I put them up. I also placed a large sign in the middle of the pasture where, because of the light lines, can be seen from my home. The sign says, "If you can read this, you are in range" with a target on it. It is still there. The thing about my dogs, and I'm sure you will understand this, is that they were both born and raised here and they've been along for every trip around the property since they were born. They know the boundaries. They are also very accustomed to the wildlife. What is ever stranger is the fact that an unknown person is sitting on my back fence for what? if not to hunt, the remaining options are ominous. I so completely don't understand. The place where I found the folding chair is only a couple feet to the left of the thruway of light lines that can be seen from my house. I'm stumped. Thanks for the replies. It really helps to discuss it with people who understand the enormity of the issues. When I posted that someone is trespassing and unwelcome on Facebook, some people laughed it off and said I was being selfish, if the person isn't hurting anything, why can't he be out there? Well, that way of thinking isn't the way my father, a lifetime cattleman and landowner, taught me to think. Thanks again. IMO, this is getting weirder the more I think about it.

Lauradena

Btw, I am not a part of any kind of secretive anything, so why would someone want to "spy" on me? I'm over 50 years old and married. I just really don't know what is going on.

jv

There are some weird people out there but maybe if you have not heard any gun shots they just love to watch the wildlife too but I don’t think you mentioned anything about gun shots.
I just moved up here in Calhoun Co. from Quitman Co. back in May. We lived almost on the Quitman/ Panola Co. line.

Lauradena

There are some weird people out there but maybe if you have not heard any gun shots they just love to watch the wildlife too but I don’t think you mentioned anything about gun shots.
I just moved up here in Calhoun Co. from Quitman Co. back in May. We lived almost on the Quitman/ Panola Co. line.
My husband is from Calhoun County. His family owns the property that sits beside 32 and the road going to Banner. I probably know you or your family if you lived in that area. I know a lot of people from there. There have been a few gunshots, sporadically. But the way the land lies, it's hard to tell whether the gunshots come from inside or outside my property.

jv

My husband is from Calhoun County. His family owns the property that sits beside 32 and the road going to Banner. I probably know you or your family if you lived in that area. I know a lot of people from there. There have been a few gunshots, sporadically. But the way the land lies, it's hard to tell whether the gunshots come from inside or outside my property.
We just moved up here to Calhoun Co. in May of this year and we live on 32 not far from Banner. I’m originally from Leflore Co. and still do my hunting down there .....when I get well enough to hunt again.

jbullard1

Staff member
If I read your post correct, you need to take down the sign stating You are in Range. That is an open invitation for a law suit. I live just outside of Bruce on hwy 32

flipper

This is another option that, while I don’t believe it will stop the problem, may be a step in the right direction: Talk to the person who owns the house that backs up to your property and ask him if that is his stand (I know it obviously is) and express your concerns for safety. Let him know that you had posted signs up, but “someone” took them down. I wouldn’t accuse him of anything. Just a pleasant visit to inform him of what you’ve experienced. If he starts to get riled, thank him for his time and leave. Then, at least you’ve made contact. Then maybe get some posts and put signs up well within your boundaries, but clear view from that stand. THEN, get a camera or two and get someone to help you put them up in a concealed location where you can capture the culprit removing the signs, and/or trespassing. Just remember, he will be looking for a camera. Oh, I hope you removed the fold up chair.

jv

This is another option that, while I don’t believe it will stop the problem, may be a step in the right direction: Talk to the person who owns the house that backs up to your property and ask him if that is his stand (I know it obviously is) and express your concerns for safety. Let him know that you had posted signs up, but “someone” took them down. I wouldn’t accuse him of anything. Just a pleasant visit to inform him of what you’ve experienced. If he starts to get riled, thank him for his time and leave. Then, at least you’ve made contact. Then maybe get some posts and put signs up well within your boundaries, but clear view from that stand. THEN, get a camera or two and get someone to help you put them up in a concealed location where you can capture the culprit removing the signs, and/or trespassing. Just remember, he will be looking for a camera. Oh, I hope you removed the fold up chair.
I agree with flipper on this one, the best way is to voice your concerns but in a nice way. I know you can’t stop the property owner from putting up a stand as long as on his property but if I understand you right the the stand is on property in a subdivision and why would he even consider putting a stand upon the back of his property if he could not hunt it legally anyway. If I’m not mistaken you have to own a certain amount of land to legally do hunt on it but I might be wrong on that.

Bignasty

If your preacher hunts your place ask him to keep an eye on it. Also, he should be able to put cameras out if he hunts much. Then if I were him I would build a stand right next to his, not to hunt but to block his view of your place (like a decoy stand). Then allow him to hunt it as much as you can. A lot of time pressure tends to make trespassers leave the area. sometimes hunting just to make someone on your line want to leave because they are tired of seeing just your orange is worth it.
Also, if that does not work think about planting a buffer zone of pine trees in front of his stand that blinds all viewing from the subdivisions. Just some suggestions I have dealt with trespasser many times. There is a lot you can do, remember it’s your property and you can use as you wish just get creative or allow someone on your belhalf to do so as well. Just remember to follow all laws and be safe. Good luck!

chadbragg

Not sure how many acres you have but all of the properties I hunt I place cams on travel paths to catch trespassers. One property I hunt is 90ac and I have 6 cams. 4 of which are mainly for trespassers. Cellular cams are getting more and more affordable, I would suggest one of these. As well as a few more cams.

Latest posts