Well

huvrman

With an average post of one per day, and nothing showing up thus far, I figured I’d start a thread just so this site doesn’t look completely abandoned.

Here’s the question of the day:

Who will be in the woods next weekend and what is your set up (plots, oaks, thickets, bedding, funnels, etc)?

jv

I hope to be going next weekend and if I do I will be hunting a two-man tree stand in hardwoods on the edge of a three year old cutover with a pine thicket about a hundred yards to the left.

huvrman

I hope to be going next weekend and if I do I will be hunting a two-man tree stand in hardwoods on the edge of a three year old cutover with a pine thicket about a hundred yards to the left.
Sounds like a pretty sweet set up. Love cutovers. Bow opener was today in TN. First time in years I've not been able to hunt. (Was putting in food plots instead. Will be out Monday watching a bench beside an 800 foot ravine that tends to serve as a travel corridor. Or maybe I'll hunt a stand I've got between a persimmon tree and one of my emerging plots. I guess I'll let the wind direction decide for me. Won't hunt in MS until the rut. Just can't take the mosquitos during early bow. Best of luck. I look forward to hearing your story!

Rancher

Not sure if gonna make morning hunt or not yet. I have to spray my plots to get them ready to plant in a couple weeks.

Evening I will be on edge of a 1.5yr old cutover that is unfortunately sprayed by Weyerhaeuser and has zero benefit for deer except the little strip the helicopter didn’t spray along the mature trees.

huvrman

Best of luck to you. My TN plans got stymied with work and plot prep here and taking wife to the pistol range. Tomorrow checking stands and crossbow practice, then off to MS for cabin work.

glenn

I hope all of you that get to hunt have great success. My hunting has just about come to an end due to health issues. My club, all family, does all the work I used to and I feel kind of useless. I’m tired of getting cut on and having body parts replaced, or removed, but maybe one day I’ll be able to go sit and watch a deer again. Enjoy it while you can. By the way jv, I hope you are able to get out and have a great year.

jv

I hope all of you that get to hunt have great success. My hunting has just about come to an end due to health issues. My club, all family, does all the work I used to and I feel kind of useless. I’m tired of getting cut on and having body parts replaced, or removed, but maybe one day I’ll be able to go sit and watch a deer again. Enjoy it while you can. By the way jv, I hope you are able to get out and have a great year.
I gonna do my best and hunt more this year. It took me a year or little more to be able to get out after my surgery so I know about parts removed lol.....hang in there glenn and I hope you can get out and enjoy things with the family. Being with my great friends is what keeps me motivated.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going with my step father a bit more this year. They hunt with dogs versus other hunting trips I've gone on. I just never enjoyed the idea of dogs, but who knows maybe I will.

huvrman

I'm going with my step father a bit more this year. They hunt with dogs versus other hunting trips I've gone on. I just never enjoyed the idea of dogs, but who knows maybe I will.
When I was younger (1980s) you were an outlier if you didn't run dogs. I tried it a year or two but just couldn't get into it. Too tempting to let that doe (does were illegal in the early years) run by and then have to chase the dogs. Hard to tell if that buck running by met the legal limits regarding horn size, etc. So, there was a lot of "brown and down" philosophy going on. I hunted in 2 different parts of the state and encountered the philosophy in both areas. So, I just continued still hunting as best I could. Funny, as time wore on, the runners I knew as a teen ended up transitioning to still hunting. Best of luck. I hope you enjoy it and kill a big one.

glenn

I grew up hunting with dogs. In the 60’s and early 70’s virtually everyone did. Back then hunting was much more of a team/group effort. People were generous with their land, you could hunt almost anywhere.

Most places, if you hunted, you got meat even if you didn’t kill anything. The person killing the deer would usually get a hind quarter and the head. The rest was divided between everyone else on the hunt. It was about being with friends and providing food for your family.

A trip to the grocery store was for flour, sugar and such. You raised, or killed your meat and vegetables. You rarely opened a can. You opened a mason jar where things had been preserved.

That was a time when you never locked your house, looked out for your neighbors kids like they were your own, didn’t have to be paid for everything you did for someone and almost everyone you knew went to church on Sunday. Times have changed. are they better? You decide.

I said all of that to say, people hunting with dogs is not a bad thing as long as you are not infringing on someone else. The people that do are the ones that have given dog hunting a bad name.

Last edited:
Reactions: jv

glenn

I gonna do my best and hunt more this year. It took me a year or little more to be able to get out after my surgery so I know about parts removed lol.....hang in there glenn and I hope you can get out and enjoy things with the family. Being with my great friends is what keeps me motivated.
Thanks jv. I probably shouldn’t have posted that. I was having a pity party that day. There are lots of people worse off than me. I’m glad you are doing better.

Reactions: jv

jv

I grew up hunting with dogs. In the 60’s and early 70’s virtually everyone did. Back then hunting was much more of a team/group effort. People were generous with their land, you could hunt almost anywhere.

Most places, if you hunted, you got meat even if you didn’t kill anything. The person killing the deer would usually get a hind quarter and the head. The rest was divided between everyone else on the hunt. It was about being with friends and providing food for your family.

A trip to the grocery store was for flour, sugar and such. You raised, or killed your meat and vegetables. You rarely opened a can. You opened a mason jar where things had been preserved.

That was a time when you never locked your house, looked out for your neighbors kids like they were your own, didn’t have to be paid for everything you did for someone and almost everyone you knew went to church on Sunday. Times have changed. are they better? You decide.

I said all of that to say, people hunting with dogs is not a bad thing as long as you are not infringing on someone else. The people that do are the ones that have given dog hunting a bad name.
Things was a lot different back then Glenn, I do love to hear dogs running a deer but chose to still hunt. And yes back in the 60’s and 70’s a person could hunt just anywhere they wanted to because back then people hunted for meat not just the head.
As far as you question I think it was better back then for sure.

jv

Thanks jv. I probably shouldn’t have posted that. I was having a pity party that day. There are lots of people worse off than me. I’m glad you are doing better.
Glenn I saw nothing wrong with the post and yes there are many people worse off than any of us but at one time I didn’t think I would ever hunt again, in 2018 I had major surgery and didn’t or should I say couldn’t hunt and in 2019 I hunted one time for just a few hours and last year I hunted maybe 6 or 7 times. I will be the first to say that i truly believe it it wasn’t for my wife and some of my hunting buddies I wouldn’t be here today. To me it’s not about the kill but being with family and friends making memories.
I have a great friend and hunting buddy that is 71 (72 in Nov) that just had a liver transplant and I been working on a shooting house that will accommodate him and his wife so maybe he can hunt some this year, we will have it ready in a week or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JimmyG662